Bridal Hair for Outdoor Weddings: Wind and Weather
Outdoor weddings possess an undeniable charm, offering couples the opportunity to exchange their vows amidst the beauty of nature. From rustic barns to picturesque beaches and enchanting gardens, these venues provide a unique and magical backdrop for a couple’s special day. However, as any bride who has chosen an outdoor wedding will tell you, the elements can be quite unpredictable. Wind, rain, and varying temperatures can present challenges, and perhaps the most vulnerable element of all is your bridal hair.
Choosing the Right Bridal Hairstyle
When it comes to selecting the perfect bridal hairstyle for your outdoor wedding, several factors should guide your decision. Your choice will not only enhance your overall bridal look but also ensure your hair stays gorgeous in the face of unpredictable elements like wind and weather.
Hair Length and Style Considerations
First and foremost, consider your hair’s length and texture. Long, flowing locks can be transformed into elegant updos, intricate braids, or left to cascade naturally. Shorter hair offers versatility, with chic pixie cuts, bob styles, or charming accessories that add character. Take into account your hair’s natural tendencies—curly, straight, or wavy—and work with them to create a style that enhances your beauty rather than fights against it.
Incorporating the Theme and Location
The theme and location of your outdoor wedding can significantly influence your hairstyle choice. For a rustic barn wedding, loose waves or a boho-chic braid can complement the surroundings perfectly. On a sun-kissed beach, consider a carefree beachy wave or a casual updo to combat humidity. If you’re exchanging vows in a garden, flower-adorned hair or romantic curls can harmonize with the natural beauty of your surroundings.
Practical Tips for Wind-Resistant Bridal Hair
The great outdoors can be a dreamy backdrop for your wedding, but it can also present some hair-raising challenges. Wind is one of the primary culprits when it comes to disrupting your perfectly styled locks. But fret not, with the right products, hairstyles, and treatments, you can ensure your bridal hair remains resilient, even in the face of blustery conditions.
Use of Hair Products and Accessories
- Hairspray and Hairpins: Invest in a good-quality hairspray, preferably one with extra-hold, to keep your tresses in place. When applying hairspray, start lightly and add more as needed to avoid that stiff look. Additionally, discreetly placed hairpins can secure loose strands or flyaways, creating a polished and wind-resistant hairstyle.
- Veils and Headpieces: Veils and headpieces not only add a touch of elegance but also help anchor your hairstyle. Combining these with bobby pins or clips can provide added stability, ensuring they stay in place despite gusty winds.
Hairstyle Options that Work Well in the Wind
- Updos and Braids: Updos and braids are popular choices for outdoor weddings, as they are less likely to get tousled by the wind. Classic buns, chignons, or intricate braided styles can be tailored to suit your wedding theme and offer a graceful, wind-resistant alternative.
- Half-Up, Half-Down Styles: For a compromise between having your hair down and securing it against the wind, half-up, half-down styles are a great option. They allow you to showcase your hair’s natural beauty while keeping the top part secure and styled.
Weather-Appropriate Hair Treatments
In the days leading up to your outdoor wedding, consider weather-appropriate treatments for your hair. Deep conditioning and protective serums can shield your locks from the effects of wind and sun exposure. Discuss these options with your hairstylist to ensure your hair is in the best possible condition for your big day.
Haircare Leading Up to the Wedding
In the journey towards your outdoor wedding, achieving the perfect bridal hairstyle doesn’t start on the day of the event. Your hair requires thoughtful care and maintenance in the months leading up to the big day to ensure it’s in the best possible condition. From maintaining overall hair health to protecting it from environmental damage, here’s how to get your locks wedding-ready.
Maintaining Hair Health
- Regular Trims: It might seem counterintuitive to trim your hair when you’re aiming for length, but regular trims are vital for keeping your hair healthy. Trimming every 6-8 weeks helps prevent split ends and breakage, keeping your hair looking lush and vibrant.
- Deep Conditioning: To achieve that soft, glossy look, deep conditioning treatments are a must. Consider using a deep conditioner at least once a week to provide your hair with the hydration and nourishment it needs. This not only improves the texture but also enhances the overall look of your bridal hairstyle.
Protecting Hair from Environmental Damage
- Sun Protection: Just as you shield your skin from the sun’s harsh rays, your hair needs protection too. Invest in hair products that contain UV filters or wear a stylish hat to shield your hair from sun damage. This is especially important for outdoor weddings, where your hair will be exposed to the elements.
- Hydration: Well-hydrated hair is more resilient to environmental damage. Ensure you’re drinking enough water to keep your hair and scalp hydrated from the inside. Additionally, incorporate a hydrating, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner into your hair care routine to maintain moisture and prevent frizz.